One of the great things about being Paleo is getting to expand your horizons and try different foods. Not only that, but also being able to find new ways of creating a healthier version of the foods you already love! Did you know that Paleo S’mores are a thing? It’s true! I know because I’ve made them. It may have taken an entire day and I’ll probably never do it again, but they were delicious!
Do you know how easy it is to make Paleo mayonnaise? I used it in my Paleo Chicken Salad and will definitely be making some egg salad later this week (recipe to come). Mayonnaise can be made by hand, but requires a little more time so it’s much easier to make in a food processor or blender.
The ratio is 1:1 for egg yolks to cups of oil (1 cup of olive oil requires 1 egg yolk). So depending on the size of the batch you’re wanting to make, adjustments can be made accordingly.
- 1 cup olive oil (lighter oils work best otherwise the flavor is so strong it almost tastes rancid)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- pinch of salt
- Add egg yolk and Dijon mustard to food processor. Turn on high and whip until egg yolk becomes a pale yellow color (the air being whipped into the egg and oil is what makes mayonnaise so light and creamy).
- With the food processor still on, slowly pour oil into yolk/mustard mixture.
- Once oil has been added and whipped (about 2-3 minutes), add salt and lemon juice and adjust measurements to taste.
- Refrigerate any leftovers and use within 2-3 days!